The Organ at Albion
Built by T.C. Lewis in 1894, the splendid organ was the gift of Mr. Abel Buckley and cost two thousand guineas. It was rebuilt in 1953 when the organist Dr. Norman Andrew and the choir raised a considerable amount towards the cost of £4050, which paid for a new electro-pneumatic console was fitted and for all of the pipes to be removed for cleaning and revoicing, the whole of the 600 reed pipes being sent to the works of Rushworth & Dreaper in Liverpool for this.The main item was the provision of a new console and the addition of new stops by the re-grouping of pipes.
There are now 47 speaking stops spread over the four manuals and pedal board, 2200 pipes that range from a few inches to 16 feet in length, 853 magnets, 3000 electrical contacts and 4 miles of wiring, making it a comparable instrument to the one standing in Manchester's Bridgewater Hall. No alterations were made to the Lewis's tonal scheme.
Here are the records of the work carried out on the Organ:
- 1872 Hill Est Bk vol:02 page:119 job:1418 [3m org [no.25 with adds] £750]
- 1872 Hill Shop Bk vol:01 page:037 job:1418
- 1889 Hill Est Bk vol:03 page:541 job: [est: re-erect, clean, repair £150]
- 1894 Lewis Ord Bk vol:01 page:003 job:0534 ['Register 'F': 4m org £2290]
- 1895 Lewis A/C Bk vol:01 page:351 job: [org £2200]
- 1897-1912 Wadsworth A/C Bk vol:02 page:517 job: [tune, clean, repair, etc]
- 1907 Lewis Shop Bk vol:04 page:037 job: ['Register 'J']
- 1921 Wadsworth A/C Bk vol:04 page:444 job: [visits]
- 1922 Jardine A/C Bk vol:01 page:073 job:0527 [repairs to feeders £11]
- 1923 Jardine A/C Bk vol:01 page:097 job:0563 [remaking Tuba reservoir £12]
- 1924 Jardine A/C Bk vol:01 page:137 job:0641 [repairs £7]
To help maintain this LEWIS ORGAN donate by visiting the "Donations" page and selecting the organ fund when making your pledge.
If you are a tax payer please remember that GIFT AID enhances your gift at no additional cost to you.
Individuals must have paid a tax amount that at least equals the tax being reclaimed on the donation.
U.K. tax paid on income, capital gains and savings all qualify
For more information send an email via the website's contact page